Didn't work!

scapco at ecentral.com scapco at ecentral.com
Fri May 29 08:25:53 PDT 2009

Both of the seals on the left side are prone to leak, both
the shifter shaft seal and occasionally the output shaft
seal.  IIRC, the shifter shaft seal can usually be gotten
out fairly easily, sometime by using a dental pick or
something similar.  I like to put a small amount of gasket
seal around the outside of the seal.  I've gone at least
five or more years since I replaced both of mine so I'm
happy.

The countershaft/output shaft is harder.  You need to
carefully drill small holes in it and insert sheetmetal
screws then pull.  If you drill too deep you can drill into
a bearing behind the seal.  Also you need to be careful
reinstalling the new seal because there is no lip behind it
and it is possible to push it right into the engine (don't
ask how I know this).  Then you'd have top remove the whole
cover which is a PITA.  Again a little gasket seal around
the edges doesn't hurt.

Just be sure the oil isn't coming from the new chain or
over oiling first before doing all this.

Charles S.