adjusting chain off the stand

John Soliday johnsoliday at msn.com
Fri May 29 08:37:21 PDT 2009

But the swingarm moves in a constant radius arc, relative to the front sprocket.  If (for some reason) the rear wheel moved straight vertically up and down you would have a different tension, but I think it's constant with normal bike swingarm geometries.  I've always adjusted my chain on the center stand, mainly so I could rotate the tire and see if there are any tight/loose spots on it.  But then maybe I'm missing something....

Also the service manual describes adjusting the chain on the center stand.

My $0.02 worth,

John