Engine question

Stephen Hampson shampson at gmx.co.uk
Fri May 29 13:08:11 PDT 2009

When operating normally the following is true:

Clutch lever out - gearbox in neutral the rear wheel will spin by hand.
Clutch lever out - gearbox in 1st or any other gear the rear wheel will not
spin easily by hand.
Clutch lever in - gearbox in neutral the rear wheel will spin by hand.
Clutch lever in - gearbox in 1st or any other gear the rear wheel will not
spin easily by hand.

If the clutch was initially seized then the wheel would spin if in neutral.
If it did not spin in neutral then it was gearbox seizure.

I doubt it would be a broken ring, more likely a seized ring which the tow
has cleared. However it may not of been to kind to the cylinder bores if it
was.

Is the motor running now?

Steve