Got it on the road finally

Steven Bixby steven at bixbys.net
Thu Sep 10 12:55:41 PDT 2009

I originally meant this for the list, not just Ron, so this follow-up
would suffice.  Pardon the long chain of replies but it contains info
I didn't get out in the first place.

---

I'm partial to Powerlet products, including the "BMW-style"
socket/connector set.  Powerlet ain't the cheapest, though, but I
think it's well-made stuff.   This socket will handle much more
current than the typical cig-lighter connector, so I think it's a
better-overall choice.

In your situation, I'd start with something like this:

http://www.powerletproducts.com/product/powerlet-battery-leads-standard-duty-15-amp/213

Just put this on the battery, and the connector can remain under the
seat or dangling out somewhere, whatever does the trick for you.

Then, you'll need some kind of connectors for your phone charger;
since the phone charger draws minuscule current, you can just use
their cig-lighter-to-powerlet adapter in-line:

http://www.powerletproducts.com/product/powerlet-to-cigarette-socket-stubby/9

This should serve for most anything you could do with the cig-lighter
approach.  I believe the typical current maximum for this kind of
connector-age is only about 2A, whereas the Powerlet goes right up to
15A - and in my opinion, this is far more useful and justifiable than
a pure cig-lighter setup.

Of course, you *can* just go to RadioShack and get a cig-socket with a
pigtail and wire that in.  Lots cheaper, but I'm a little skeptical to
the overall usability.

(I just looked on RadioShack.com and couldnt' find what I speak of,
but somewhere, I bought a cig-lighter socket, and either pre-wired
leads, or I added leads myself.  This would be a cheap/easy way to
go.)