Spark plug gaskets?

1KPerDay 1kperday at gmail.com
Sun Apr 25 21:32:44 PDT 2010

You're probably thinking of the spark plug hole gaskets, commonly called
"figure 8" gaskets, that surround the spark plug holes. If you're removing
the valve cover, you should probably replace them as they'll eventually get
old and you'll start getting oil leaking into your spark plug holes and
fouling the plugs. If you're just replacing the spark plugs and not messing
with the valves/cover, and you're not seeing any oil leaking into the holes,
you're fine. BTW use some compressed air to blow out the spark plug holes
BEFORE removing your old plugs. Get the dust/crap/crud out of there before
you open a big hole by removing the plugs. :)