Bike's back

blackbear at frontiernet.net blackbear at frontiernet.net
Wed May 4 02:42:06 PDT 2011

Just got the GPZ back from the shop, and i have to say I'm quite disappointed.
Oh, they got it to start and idle ok, but if I try to give it any throttle other than a tiny bit at a time, the engine quits.  Not sure if it is bogging down, or starving.
Plus, they broke one of the tabs off the back of the cover for the airbox.  That little black plastic decorative cover on the left side.

$400+ later, and i still can't ride the bike.  And they were trying to say that my petcock is bad, leaking gasoline, and that it could cause a starvation problem.  Well, is it leaking, or starving the engine?

For those interested, here's a few pics of what they did.

#1 - the back of the airbox cover.  The indented portion of the foam is where the second tab was supposed to be to match up with a grommet in the airbox.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~ripclaw/20110504035314.jpg

#2 - I had a thick rubber gas line leading to a large, clear fuel filter.  This is the line they used to replace it.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~ripclaw/20110504035345.jpg

#3 - Finally, the tiny fuel filter they used

http://www.frontiernet.net/~ripclaw/20110504035356.jpg

I'm going to call them later and see what they are willing to do to resolve this.  I really needed this bike running reliably since i have to take the Jeep apart to fix the brakes.  I'll even overlook the cosmetic damage if they just get it running right!  I was charged for 2.6 hrs labor, and the mechanic said he must have had twice that in actual work time.  are these carbs really that hard to work on?

by the way.....anyone have a spare airbox cover I can purchase?

Michael (VERY upset) in Holley, NY

PS.  Thanks for listening to my rant.