I think the time has come...

Marilyn Mason masonjs at nrtco.net
Thu May 5 06:15:01 PDT 2011

I think the age winner of this Gpz  group was John (Papa Jack) Roddick of
Shippensburg PA.  He had a 96 and rode it until 99 when he bought a VFR
which he traded for a Yamaha FJ 1300.  The last time I saw him was on a trip
to the BRP about 4 years ago.  The top half of my rain suit had myteriously
disapearred so I stopped in at John's to see if he could recommend some
where to get one.  He sold me a Frog Tog suit.  He didn't like that it was
camo made him look like a red neck.
I asked him if he wanted to accompany us on the ride down the Parkway but he
declined as he had just returned that way from the bike museum in Alabama.
I noticed his year old Yamaha had just over 20,000 miles one it and John had
bought it new 10 months earlier.  He is no slouch to ride with.  He was born
in 1921 and will turn 90 this year.  I don't know if he is still riding but
I'd like to think so.
He made a deal with a bike shop in Mechanicsburg PA when he was 61 years
old.  The owner wanted a Bultaco Pursang that John had Buehle'd.  John said
he could have the bike if he would install and balance the bikes on his bike
free as long as he was riding.  I'd hate to think the mechanic is getting
off scot free.

Jim -- who's cottage revos are eating up any riding time this spring.

I hope I'm still into the sport when I'm 70, Art.

Seems like a really good price on your bike, Dave.

I'm sort of back on a bike with an 08 KLR 650 with Givi luggage. As much as
I would like another litre sport bike, I would rather have the low insurance
and running costs of the dual sport.
Steve Northrop really sold me on a bike I had already been eying. Watching
him carve the corners in 2009 Colorado riding with Gpz's and a Beemer, it
did everything competently.

So why am I not riding the bike I bought in 2010? Well I was toying around
with a 2000 Miata for the past few summers and can only insure, license and
drive so many vehicles at a time. The little convertible was cheap fun but
hard to get around its reputation as a chick's car. I sold the Miata last
winter and have the KLR ready to ride. Between that I went through another
marriage and bought a power of sale house off of a Scottish hoarder so I'm
still working on that project occasionally. Oh yeah, I also had to find the
71 YO hoarder a place to live after taking over his home but that's for
another forum..

Below is an email I sent some friends when I first bought the KLR so I will
let it explain the rest of my story:

Mike

Beginning of forwarded email here:
Got a smoking deal on a mint '08 KLR 650 off Craigslist Boston last weekend.
C/W Givi luggage.
I fit it in the back of my Honda minivan and we toured around New England
like that until Monday's return to Canada.

Well I really broke the KLR in yesterday.
Took it to Michelle's cottage in the Laurentians/Quebec side.
Her son, KiLLeR had his KLR300r with full Moto tires and complete Moto x
gear.
He takes me immediately to the old mine, up a rocky strewn trail at high
speed. Me want to show what a fast former, competition enduro rider I am,
keep the 650 right off his rear tire and push him harder. We hit a mud hole
and my Kenda street tires get caked. I slide sideways at about 30 mph coming
out of the wet and bash my lower engine case on a combination rock log. The
case guard is a plastic Barbie arrangement.

We come to the end of the hazard section within 2 more minutes. Keillor's
bike lost a valve cover bolt from the bouncing and is spraying oil
everywhere, mine is running oil on the ground from a dent/ crack in the left
lower casing front of the oil drain plug. In the middle of the Laurentian
wilderness/blackflies/mosquitoes. A drunk hillbilly Frenchman with no pants
only a long T shirt in a school bus converted to a cabin(permanent
residence) gives us a lift to get the truck, after he puts on some pants.
Lesson learned, never go full retard with a new bike. You did that once no?

Anyway hope that I can patch her with titanium putty. Case splitting will
mean no riding for a few weeks.

Cost of new bike: 3000$
Number of hours spent riding: 45 minutes
Drunk French hillbilly with no pants: Priceless