Out of lurk mode............SHIMS, Now more trouble!

Tom Wheeler the74impala at hotmail.com
Sat May 21 22:29:28 PDT 2011

Not quite a year, and I am finally tearing things apart.....

I think the shims are going to work out good.  I settled on DennisKirk.com.  They had 5 packs of each size, and I only needed 4 different sizes, so it was the easiest, cheapest way I found to do it.  I also ordered an ignition advancer also.  Guess I should have asked if anyone had one cheap here considering how many no longer have a geeper.  Anyhow, I decided I would clean things up and inspect the carbs, since I was having some idle issues , about a year and a half ago.  I can't believe I have not ridden in that long.  A little kid sure changes what you have time for.  Now if only I knew the best way to unhook the throttle cables.  I got the choke off fine, but those 2 together are going to kill me, or I might end up having to purchase new ones when I destroy them.  Are you supposed to remove them from the handle to get slack?  Separate them at the adjustment, or am I too stupid to continue on.  The manual was no use to my brain.  I initially thought I would just take off the airbox and clean it, then reality hit, and I figured I should check out the carbs anyhow, since they have to come off too.  I am going to put a new chain and sprockets, as well as do the rear suspension maintenance that someone suggested one time to utilize a chain without needed to put a link in it myself.  I was planning on going up to the 51 tooth rear.  I have looked at a sidewinder set, and they are a little high, but they claim "I will not need another chain for many tens of thousands of miles" if I use their setup....  Still looking around.

Really need help on the throttle cables, I have to be making it harder than it is.

Thanks,

Tom
Louisville, KY

PS, If you are still listening, Thanks for The Amazing Valvulator™ Rickard, worked great!