Plugged tire

Randy noneofyourbusiness tuner_delorean at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 17 05:22:55 PDT 2011

I highly recomend patching from the inside, never had good luck with the rope patches, for 4 wheel vehicle nor 2 wheel, at least not for more than maybe getting me home. the mushroom plugs look good, but I dont have any experience with them.

as for me I wouldnt travel over 50 miles in any direction, & only low at low speed on  back roads, & by that I mean 55mph or under, not interstate speeds with 70 to 80+ mph, with a rope patch. high speeds mean more heat. more flexing, & rope seal leaking down, or slinging out.

with inside patches I have never had problems, I cant remember any problems from anyone I know either. would I run a inside patch? been running one for most of summer on my GPZ on rear, roughly 8,000 miles. my front tire has a hole in it & I am running with a hole instead of fixing, I picked up a tire but havent had time to replace, working 7 days a week, today is first day off in 3 weeks, I am going to a family reunion today, & will be replacing the tire tomorrow on Sunday, the tire only leaks 3 or so psi per day, & I havent left town with it. the hole is size of a needle & I would have to drill it out to plug it, & then I wouldnt trust it, & tire was nearly slick, so I just added air every day that  I ride it. & been doing that a couple weeks, & about 500 miles of riding.

plenty of people have had good luck with rope seals, but its your life, & what kind of chances you want to take. if a sudden flat occurs, can you handle it & not wreck? a biker I know he goes to my church, had a plug come out on his Harley a few weeks ago, a rear tire, he was lucky, & ran into a rain gulley & kept it upright. & he is first I have heard of in many years. but what if traffic or no place to go?

good luck,
Randy