Diesel oils - good, fire bad (RIP Phil Hartman)

William K Denton wkdenton at verizon.net
Thu May 2 16:56:34 PDT 2013

Actually, Ralph, it does say "good for your motorcycle" on the Rotella-T
jug.  The specific wording is "Meets the following specifications; JASO-MA",
which is a specific rating for motorcycles with wet clutches.  Another
reason that so many people use diesel oils in their motorcycles is because
diesels don't have catalytic convertors, so the oil manufacturers can use
higher levels of antiwear additives like ZDDP (zinc dialyldithiophosphate)
w/o concern for voiding cat warranties or shortening catalyst life.

Bill Denton
Yardley, PA
wkdenton at verizon.net
Lazarus Cycleworks, LLC