GPZList Digest, Vol 84, Issue 6

GPZ1100ABS gpz1100abs at gmail.com
Sun Nov 10 22:48:43 PST 2013

Pete,

IIRC the lowest octane I've ever used was 91. The lowest octane we have
here in DK (Regular) is 92. Premium is 95 and if you want any higher you
have to use Shell V-Power, which is 99 (I think). In Germany it's 91, 95
and 98-99. With minor variations it's like that all over Europe. I
cannot recall ever having seen octane numbers in the eighties, not even
in eastern Europe although I know they used to have some very low (78 or
so) octane. Long time ago the Danish Automobile Association adviced that
if you were outside DK and the octane number was not shown on the pump,
you should use premium rather than regular just to be sure. I've always
followed that advice, so Kawasine has never eaten anything below 91 octane.

Romania was by far the most memorable trip I've made for several years.
It was a group tour, 16 motorcycles and 25 persons led by a Dane with
some 40 years of experience in Romania along with his Romanian
assistant. It was unusual in the way that we were accommodated in
private homes in a village (Geoagiu de Sus in Transsylvania in the NW
part of the country). This was our base from which we made day trips.
All our lunch meals on our tours were also arranged in private homes.
This gave us a unique insight into the daily living among ordinary
people. The family I stayed with had done this type of guest-housing for
several years and had earned enough money to modernize their home with a
modern bathroom. Some in our group had done this trip earlier (before
2010) and had stayed in this particular house; by then the 'bathroom'
was a barrel of rainwater behind the woodshed and the toilet an outdoor
closet... This is still a widespread 'standard' in the countryside. The
village had just recently had its main street paved and water from a
waterworks installed along with a community drain. The problem was that
the waterworks was not dimensioned for supplying the entire village with
water, so officially water was available 3 hours in the morning and 3
hours in the evening. However, after 20 minutes lack of pressure made it
impossible to shower... Despite this, this particular village was doing
quite well. There were places much worse than this that we didn't see
for the very reason that we wouldn't be able to go there without
offroaders... That being said the country has made considerable progress
since the fall of the iron curtain and the execution of their president.
If you drive through on the main roads, towns and villages do not on
first sight differ significantly from that of southern Europe. The roads
are not too bad, the houses look quite nice, shopping is available in
full scale and appears to be doing well, the vehicle fleet is no
different from ours, major cities are just like our major cities, people
are dressed nicely etc. etc. But if you go into the countryside you'll
still find horse-drawn carriages all over, villages that still do not
have waterworks nor drains, unpaved streets, high unemployment rates,
basically self-supplying households etc. etc. So generally it's a
country which at first sight looks better than you might expect, but
with enormous contrasts between rich/middle class and poor. In this
country the poor are really, really poor... Enough now, I could keep
going for hours... :)

Apart from that it was the first time ever that I've done a group like
this with people I didn't know beforehand. But a very pleasant
experience. There was one young man in the group (about 30), the rest
were between 60 and 71 y/o. Although being 62 I actually lowered the
average age LOL.

Ped
'96 "Black Stealth" GPZ
Denmark