[BaseCamp] Basecamp Mac vs. Windows versions

Trey Nicoud gnicoud3 at icloud.com
Tue Aug 15 13:14:42 PDT 2023

Hi Jerry,

I've been without access to a Windows computer for 4 and half years now. For many years, I loved using Basecamp on Mac and had few problems. Sadly, as Apple kept updating its operating systems and as Garmin stopped supporting Basecamp, the experience has steadily gotten worse, to the point that I have pretty much given up trying to use Basecamp (or any other Garmin product) on a Mac. It's not just that Basecamp is unreliable on the Mac--I usually cannot get a Mac to "see" a Garmin device so I can transfer waypoints and routes to the Garmin. (From numerous phone calls with Garmin tech support, I suspect that the USB ports on Macs, especially laptop Macs, don't send enough power to the Garmin.) For a while I would take the micro SD card out, put that in a card reader, transfer the files to the card, and then put the card back in the Garmin, but now that doesn't seem to work either. Because of my Mac not "seeing" my GPS, I haven't tried the "running Windows on a Mac" approach.

I hope you have better luck than I've had,
Trey