chain noise?

blackbear at blackbear at
Fri Apr 20 06:34:50 PDT 2007

Quoting John Spoonemore <spoone at>:

> Hi all.
> I recently replaced my chain and sprockets (thanks to EVERYBODY who
> replied to my query for help...Art Lischer, your pics confirmed my
> setup...thanks hugely ;-D)
> Thing, new parts added...and I get a really neat sounding
> whine.

Not to rehash an older article, but I had this happen after a tire
change.  During one of the Lake George rallys, anytime I got above
60MPH the bike would have this high-pitched whine.

Took some pics of the sprokets and someone here (I think it was Ralph)
mantioned that there was more wear on the inside of the sprocket.

Long story short, the rear wheel was reinstalled slightly crooked to
the longitudinal axis of the bike and the stress was causing the chain

Got the rear tire straightened out and never heard the noise since.