Heated grips resistance question

Julian Solomensky jsolo at solo-tek.com
Mon Dec 3 12:51:43 PST 2007

Hello Steven,

The suzuki guys are correct.  More resistance = less heat.  Think of heat as the volume of water in a pipe.  If you add a restrictor, you're reducing the volume of water, therefore reducing the amount of heat.

Heat is a function of current (since the the max voltage is fixed).

Ohm's law states I=V/R.  Increase R, I decreases.

If you want max heat, wire them in parallel.  Keep in mind, in a parallel circuit, equivalent (or apparent to the battery source) resistance is closer to the lower resistance than higher.  For example, 10 ohms and 10K ohms are in parallel, equivalent resistance = 9.99 ohms.  (product over sum formula).

GOod luck

--
Best regards,
 Julian                            mailto:jsolo at solo-tek.com