Replacement for GPz

Sims, Robert B MAJ MIL USA OSD bob.sims at us.army.mil
Tue Oct 23 02:29:35 PDT 2007

> I'm asking the list for recommendations. I'm
> 6'4"
> 220lbs.
> What have you guys been looking at for replacements?

Scott,

Don't worry and don't feel guilty, it will happen to all/most of us. The effects of my former GPZ being in storage for 14 months was my mental equivalent of your drop -- just too much expense, time, and effort for even minor fixes and maintenance.

IMHO, I think your height and inseam are the real limiting factor for finding comfortable rides. In hindsight, I can't believe I pretended to be comfortable on the GPZ for as long as I did. I went through the same decision making process, and for me, there were only three important criteria:

1. Comfortable for a tall person (I'm 6'4"/193 cm with a 35"/89 cm inseam)
2. Low maintenance features
3. Hard luggage compatible

Sounds simple, but really, there are only two street-friendly bikes out there that generally meet these criteria: the Buell Ulysses and the BMW R1200GS. There really are no Japanese bikes that are comfortable for tall folks -- excepting perhaps the V-Strom, KLR, and a few others.

My Ulysses is in the shop now for the 5K mile service. So far, I love every bit of the bike -- I have drank the Buell Koolaid and it tastes very good. There have been a few niggly problems, but they've been covered under warranty, and certainly no worse than some of the GPZ's teething problems (leaky seals, dry bearings, etc). No chain or valve adjustments, no choke, and IMHO the most comfortable OEM seat of any bike, period. If you want to read more of my Ulysses propaganda, see:
http://www.twowheelsburning.com/article/articleview/123

The 2008 model has a lot of improvements over my 2006 version, including more steering sweep (tighter radius).

I'd recommend you test ride both the Ulysses and the 1200GS, if available.

Please pass my regards to the family.

Bob