Sanding parts

The Masons masonjs at nrtco.net
Fri Mar 14 05:58:12 PDT 2008

If you want to lightly sand the discs or any other flat surface and don't
want to risk sanding too much in one place.  Take your sheet of sanding
media and glue it to a piece of window glass.  Secure the glass to a table
top.  Place the item to be sanded on the sand/emery paper, jeweller's cloth
and move it back and forth with your hands.  Only move it in one direction.
If you check after rubbing the part on the sanding media all the sanding
scratches will run the same direction.  Any places that don't show sanding
marks are low spots and you'll have to sand down to them.
You use this same method when sanding/polishing a surface with increasingly
finer grades of paper.  When you change to the next grade of paper, turn the
item being polished 90 degrees so the new sanding marks remove the old ones
and you can see when you are done.