Red '95 >>> Street Rod ??

shampson shampson at gmx.co.uk
Sat Oct 4 16:00:13 PDT 2008

Following the harley thread. Your bike journalists and a few letter writers
appear to be up in arms about the new Xr1200 only being available in Europe
and not in the USA. They are aggrieved at not being able to get their hands
on possibly the best bike harley have built in a long time. However the
reality in somewhat different. The bike was well received by the Euro bike
press when first announced by harley but their opinions change once they got
their hand on them. Far to heavy, handling a bit lardy, performance a bit
wanting and the finish of the components is appalling bad. Most however
agree that for a first attempt and shouldered with an aging engine design
its quite a good first attempt. Opinion was its probably not going to
attract the sport bike, sport tourer rider but may well attract the older
rider who may be hovering between a naked bike or a cruiser.

My opinion for what its worth, is that it's a great looking bike and would
be better without the twin exhaust. However I could'nt live with the short
tank range and bad finish over here where a winter would turn it into a heap
of rust.

Have any of you guys read any reports on it, or formed any opinions. At the
very least you may get a nod from a harley rider in the future.

Steve