Canada Trip - Part 2

scapco at ecentral.com scapco at ecentral.com
Fri Sep 5 15:40:27 PDT 2008

After a great sunny ride through Glacier Natl. park with
Chuck Driscoll and his daughter and more sun on the way up
to Banff, Monday I awoke to clouds and cool weather.
Nonetheless, I decided to head up to Lake Louise
(spectacular) and up to the Jasper Ice fields.  Lots of
great scenery and glaciers on the way made the cool ride
okay.  About 40 miles short, the skies turned black and
rain started to fall.  I stopped at a gas
station/restaurant for gas in heavy rain and was talking to
the attendant who suggested it was probably snowing farther
up the road.  Having crashes in snow once, I headed back
down the hills to Banff where I sent the previous e-mail.

The next morning I awoke to rain so I had to pack
everything up in the tent and get fully dressed before
getting out.  I stuffed the wet tent in the sack, loaded up
the bike and headed north to Lake Louise where Highway 1
turned west towards the coast.  I went through Yoho
National park wearing five layers of clothes on top and two
on the bottom.  I actually managed to stay reasonably dry,
and was just cold when I finally stopped for a white
chocolate cappuccino to warm up.  I continued on through
Canada’s Glacier national park and thru Revelstoke in
intermittent rain before it finally stopped raining and was
just cloudy.   I fueled up and headed west once more
through the scenic lake  area around Siciamous that makes
up Shuswap lake.  I stopped in Kamloops to get a Hardley T-
shirt, bs’ed with a couple of guys about how bad the pine
beetle kill is there and went on to Cache Creek where I got
a hotel so I could dry my tent out and get cleaned up.

The next morning, I packed up my now dry tent and loaded
the bike and headed for hwy 99, the Sea to Sky highway.
Lots more interesting scenery as the road is more of a back
road along here.  Once again, it started raining and I rode
down a twisty and bumpy road in the rain.  To make it
worse, it got very foggy and I was riding on fairly squared
off tires at this point.  Lots of white knuckle time until
I got down to Pemberton where there was only a few
sprinkles to go with the clouds.  I stopped a while later
to get a few pictures at Whistler ski area where the 2010
Winter Olympics will be held and then sat in road
construction traffic off and on clear to Vancouver.

I stopped in Squamish to get a picture of my GPZ parked
next to the ocean for posterity and then went down to
Vancouver to Trev Deely Harley Davidson to get another t-
shirt.  This is quite a dealership as he is the Canadian
distributor and has been owned by the Deely family since
1917.  He had a nice museum of bikes and a rather nasty
looking Goth chick behind the parts counter.  Next stop
Horseshoe Bay to get the ferry over to Vancouver Island.

Charles S.