GPS Mount

Jeffrey Walker walkerjl at charter.net
Tue Mar 31 14:08:36 PDT 2009

This is what I recommend:  Get yourself this ball:
http://www.motorcyclelarry.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=
62 Then you remove one of the 4 allen cap bolts that bolt the handlebar
risers to the steering (The black recessed ones, two on each side).
Purchase a longer, stainless steel allen bolt with a rounded top, a
stainless washer and lock washer and bolt the ram ball there.  Just torque
the new bolt the same as the other bolts with a bit of blue Loctite for
peace of mind.  I used the bolts that are closest to you as you sit on the
bike, and angled the ball towards the center.  I have both my GPS and my
radar detector mounted in this way, one on each side.  I'll take a picture
of it later.

I have also seen this type of RAM ball used, but it has an 11mm hole
compared to a 9mm hole on the angled ball:
http://www.motorcyclelarry.com/images/ram-b-342_01.jpg so I wasn't inclined
to try it at the time as I didn't feel it would be as secure. But using a
larger fender washer and a locking washer, it would probably be OK.  The
advantage of this type of ball is that it would allow more adjustment out of
your RAM arm.  With the angled ball, you can't adjust the RAM arm around the
same angle extremes in some directions.  I like to have the GPS adjusted
just so when I have my tankbag on so I can see the instrument cluster, GPS,
and not interfere with the tankbag as you turn the handlebars.  I use a
standard length, 3" long RAM arm to my GPS mount.  My GPS is a Garmin 2720.
I use the Garmin motorcycle mount and power cable, bolted to a standard RAM
ball, the kind with the diamond shaped base and two small bolts.  Both my
GPS and Escort 8500 radar is powered by the bike.

My radar detector is mounted in a Legal Speeding radar box:
http://www.legalspeeding.com/images/Radar_Box_pics/Slide3.JPG with a Marc
Parnes Visual Alert on top of that.  My next farkle is to try and find a way
to pipe my radar detector, GPS, and iPod into my earphones all at once.

Jeff (I'll try and take pictures by tomorrow).