selling as is, or parting off

Drew Blanchard drewblanchard at gmavt.net
Tue Mar 31 16:26:50 PDT 2009

Greetings!

I singed up for the GpZList about 8 months ago, more out of nostalgia
than anything.  I used to own a '95 GpZ (red, of course, because they go
faster) and loved that bike more than any other before or since.  I put
more than 13,000 miles on it in my second year of ownership, which is
saying something when the riding season is only 7 months long in
northern NY.  Sadly, in '99 the GpZ and I parted company on a decreasing
radius curve and a fresh patch of asphalt.  The bike went into a ravine,
I went into a tree.  Broke a number of bones and wadded the bike into a
ball.

Fast forward many years and once again I yearn for my old GpZ.  This is
despite the fact I currently own the bike of my dreams: a '95 Triumph
Super III (one of only 250 verified units ever imported and
beeeeeeauuutiful).  My problem is this:  I love to /look/ at the
Triumph, but I loved to /ride/ the GpZ.  So I've begun looking, knowing
I can't afford to keep two bikes (well, /three/, if you count my wife's
Shadow).  I've been amazed to discover the GpZ's are even more rare
(sale-wise, that is) than my Triumph.  I  realize some of this is the
nature of collector's items, and the Super III's often change hands and
go into collections; but people seem to hold on to their GpZ's for dear
life.

Andy, I'd love to give you what you're asking for the GpZ, but the
economics simply aren't there.  It' a crappy market.  My Triumph has
been a labor of love (more than $1800 and 100 hours invested in the last
year, all fully documented) and I know there's no way I can get what
it's really worth.  But that hasn't stopped me from contacting some
people, just in case.  I'm just unwilling to sell the Triumph without an
equally prized toy to take its place.

If you do decide to trade your bike and take the price hit, I could
probably find the money to give you more than a dealer would.  Unless
you'd like to work out some sort of deal with a Super III ...

Drew
------------------------------------

may be right to "help the economy" and getting the new connie...

so, the question now is to figure out whether i put it back to stock and ebay the parts, or try to sell as is, and then of course, for how much.

i've not been following the auctions or anything too closely but figured, if sold stock, at best i'd see $2995, which i'd be ok with, and with goodies, i'd want something closer to $3500, which I'm sure i'd have a hard time getting.

so, any demand for any of the following parts?
1. Corbin seat - custom fit for 5'10" rider, 32" inseam.
2. LSL with ZRX bar conversion
3. Genmar risers
4. Jardine 4-1 exhaust
5. Factory jet kit (stage 1)
6. Givi E36 bags with Euro style mounts
7. Givi tall screen
8. mirror extenders

aside from above, upgrades that would stay on the bike
1. speed bleeders all around
2. fiamm freeway blaster horns
3. grip warmers
4. race tech front springs and gold valves
5. 47 tooth rear sprocket
6. LED indicator bulbs
7. stainless steel (black) bolt / screw kit

in addition, the various parts i've collected which i'd not have a need for are:
1. used OEM rear shock
2. used 94 ZX9 rear shock
3. 3 side/rear plastic panels (2 left and 1 right, or the other way around, can't recall, but for whatever reason, i collected 3 of them)
4. 2 wind screens.  depending on what i do with the bike, could be 1 clear stock, 1 black stock, 1 givi tall black.  the blacks were painted black on the inside
5. mirrors

bike has 46k miles on it and has been well maintained.  only downed once by previous owner in a parking lot tip over, and i only hit 1 turkey which damn near took me off the bike...

any thoughts?
andy b