carb take 2

blackgpz at rochester.rr.com blackgpz at rochester.rr.com
Fri May 15 05:20:18 PDT 2009

If DJ did not supply a drill bit and there are no instructions to drill the slides, then let it go. I have an old DJ Stage 1 kit for the GPZ and it was included so they must have changed, probably to save the cost of the drill bit.

John, regardless of DJ's expertise, our experience has been the DJ diaphragm springs are too light, letting the slides raise too quickly causing an off-idle and part-throttle stumble when opening the throttle. Replacing the DJ springs with the stock ones clears it up immediately. I have put DJ kits in other bikes as well and not had problems but they missed it a little with the GPZ kit.

Jonathon, you do not want any vertical play in the needle when it is in the slide. Put the white plastic retainer over the needle, hold it down with your finger and see if you can move the needle up and down.
Shim as required to remove this play. Your mid-range fuel mixture is determined by the vertical position of the tapered needle in the needle jet. If it can move around vertically all over the place, so will the fuel metering.

It's OK to block off the openings in the airbox left by the removal of the emission hoses. Don't forget there is a vacuum tap on the carbs that needs to be plugged as well.