sad story

Alexander Finger af at genevainformation.ch
Sun Nov 29 09:21:33 PST 2009

I agree on the "slap on the wrist", fully. When I say that jail is not
fixing it I mean that I seriously doubt that
a) the guy will get "better" (which he should if he's punished)
b) anybody else will be impressed (chances are low that you are actually
getting into an accident)

If you want to retaliate, you've got to cut off his legs (ouch, was that not
what we despised the sharia "justice" for?). Otherwise making sure that
he'll not drive a car for some years, has to pay for the rest of his life a
sum to his victims and spend a considerable time in community service (like
helping injured people) might actually help the trick.

The other thing which needs to happen is that you create an environment by
teaching people (kids, to start off) how to not drive and take away driving
licenses, temporarily or for longer, if people are caught being inattentive
because they play with something else while driving (let it be a mobile
phone, a girl/boyfriend, ..).

But I'm not surprised with your reaction - the penal systems in Europe do
rather emphasize improving than punishing.

cheers
Alex