Summer trips

Steven Bixby steven at bixbys.net
Fri May 11 17:18:05 PDT 2012

It'd be on my ST13, but...

I'm trying to plan a trip in late August to mid September timeframe,
about 2 weeks duration.

The first few days I'd try to get to Denver (from San Francisco area) in
just 2 or 3 riding days.  It's about 1150 miles short-routed, and I'm
toast after about 5-600 miles in the saddle.  Once I get there, my wife
will most likely be flying in, and we will spend a few days with my
parents.  My father is battling myeloma -- so far on the good side,
thankfully -- and it's good to spend time with them.  We'll probably go
with them camping for a few days, then my wife flies back to be at work
on the weekend.  (She's the head coach & range manager for the Travis
AFB motorcycle safety program.)

After that, my schedule opens up, and I'm sorta planning to do day loops
or overnighters around Colorado.  Unbelievably, living there for some
10+ years of my teens and twenties, and making semi-frequent trips in
the 20 years since...  I've never been to Aspen and the general area.
Seems too weird, and I want to rectify that this year.   I also want to
make a loop to the SW area, including Charles' beloved
Durango/Silverton, perhaps for  the night.   Another odd omission,
especially since I went to college in Grand Junction -- I've never been
up on the Grand Mesa.  That has to be rectified as well.

Then, depending on how the schedule works out, I'll be swinging back
towards NorCal, and may either short-route it, or wobble around through
WY/ID/NV.  I was thinking Yellowstone area would be a nice wide loop
towards home, and I haven't been there for a good 25 years now.

I wish I had more time to take off - I guess that 2-week trip to Hawaii
in February mucked up my PTO. :)