front tire wear

Art Johnson art-j at
Mon Sep 17 07:06:59 PDT 2012

run the max tire pressure as rated on the tire.
check stanchion tube mounts and heights, steering head bearings
torque all front end bolts

Michelin Pilot Road 2 on my gpz has flat spots on the profile, like drawing a circle with straight line segments.
the center flat spot is the widest, hmm....

----- Original Message -----
From: "Randolph Peters" <arpee44 at>
To: "Art Johnson" <art-j at>
Sent: Sunday, September 16, 2012 11:43:07 PM
Subject: front tire wear

Hi Listers,
I'm perplexed by a weird wear pattern on my front tire (Dunlop Roadsmart, 5000 approx. miles). There is a high ridge in the center on either side of which is a concave band before going outwards to raised edge bands. In addition the wear is not symmetrical.  I hope you can see the profile from these photos.
The usual cupping (digs between transverse thread grooves) is not present.
I think that this is responsible for front wiggle at high speeds and inability to steer a straight line at crawl speeds.
Any idea what may have caused this?
Thanks for your input.
Randy from New Orleans
ZZR 1200

You are subscribed at the email address art-j at