Stutter -technical advice needed

GPZ1100ABS gpz1100abs at gmail.com
Sun Sep 8 23:53:51 PDT 2013

George,

Was there by any chance any strong winds (crosswinds) associated with
these events? The only rough engine running and hesitation I've ever
experienced on the GPZ has been in windy conditions - always caused by
the carb vent hoses not being properly located. They MUST be in their
right position - behind the air intake box - otherwise wind turbulence
may disturb the carbs.

I don't know if you ever do this, but if mine has been sitting in the
garage for several weeks (a couple of months or more) I always drain the
carb bowls before I crank the engine. This has spared me (I believe) for
any carb related problems throughout the years. It's a quite simple
procedure once you have the tools you need: The proper bit (can't recall
the English term for that screw just now (not a torx but...)) on a
suitable extender, 4 pieces of plastic hose and a cannister to collect
the contents of the bowls. I put the 4 plastic hoses on the 4 carb
drains, put the other end in the cannister, open all 4 drain plugs, let
the bowls drain, then turn the petcock to prime for a few seconds to
flush the bowls. That should clear the carbs of any crap that may have
accumulated in the bowls. I used to ride a moped (Puch Maxi) to work and
I know from the carb cleaning procedure that it is unbelievable what
amount of crap and dirt may accumulate in a carb bowl over time.

If the carb vent hoses are properly located I think I would flush the
bowls as described above and then add some carb cleaner additive in the
next tank of gas and hope the problem goes away. Sorry, but I can't
think of anything better than that.

The last (I think) major tour of the season will be to the German 'GPZ
Alpentreffen' in Faschina, western Austria in the beginning of October.
It's only 300 km from Thun ;) Any chance you would drop by and maybe
participate? I'm sure accommodation could be arranged. There is going to
be some 30 people, mainly German and Dutch, and some 20 motorcycles (of
which the GPZ is a minority, although it's called a GPZ meeting. We
could use one more :) ). We usually have great fun and some awesome rides :)

Ped
'96 "Black Stealth" GPZ
Denmark

(Your wrecked GPZ still sitting in my garage :) )