1 cylinder down‏ - update

john leonard jlmdx at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 15 18:56:39 PDT 2014

I've checked a few things on my '96.I purchased a compression gauge and tested the cylinders.  They appear about equal.  2 @150 psi and 2 @ 160 psi.   I removed the air box (for good), and intend to install pod filters and a crankcase filter.I cleaned out #3's bowl and float pin (the one that flooded) and sprayed carb cleaner in all the intakes.  I didn't remove/adjust the jets.  I cleaned the spark plugs again; they all show about the same resistance on a meter.  I put the tank and carbs back on and it's still not running well and stalls if I give it any gas, but I think I need pods in place.I'm beginning to think the ignition is at fault.  As I mentioned in my last post, the engine was missing big-time a few weeks ago (before the hydro lock)  then it magically starting working again after sitting for a day to two.
So here's what's on order.  4 new plugs, 4 pods, 1 crank filter, and new Service Manual (my old one went missing).  I'll test the ignition and the cables once I find out how that's done.
john